Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Vacation

Going Home was nice. I even spent three whole nights there in Long Beach. Booya!

If you remember (points below) my family drove down to Monmouth and picked me up on Sunday the 13th. We stopped at a restaurant on the way home called Humps (no joke) and managed to make it through the icy rain without incident to Astoria. Where it was much colder, oddly enough.

Didn't do too terribly much my few days at home. I felt guilty, though. Corina's been begging me to see her for ages and i either forget or don't feel like it. Seriously, I should be more compassionate, you know? My best Friend Tosha skipped out on seeing me before I left for WOU and has avoided me since. So I know how Corina feels.

Monday, the 14th, I just sat in the family business on the computer all day long.

Tuesday I went to Astoria early to see Ai (Hi Ai!) and ostensibly to get my fencing gear.

Which I forgot.

We had fun, though. I bought a painting, we drew on the wall in the LIT room (building is about to be remodeled), then we caught a ride to Long Beach and went thrift shopping.

Wednesday I had errands. Mum gave me idiot proof directions (money for doctor in correspondingly labeled envelopes) and Gramma drove me. Hit up the dentis (which reminded me of my neglected wisdom teeth...), the Hospital clinic, and the family doctor (closed).

Gramma let me go into the bookstore while we waited (mistake) but I managed to restrain myself to only one bargain book.

The entire ride down from the house across the peninsula to the port Gramma nattered on and on and on about how much stuff I had (1 backpack of clothes, satchel with notebooks and novels, art portfolio, bag with big jacket and blanket and shoes, Camera) and wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise about it. Which was a little humorous, actually.

So when she asked me how in the world I was going to get home on Thursday, to my chagrin, I had to tell her I was not coming home.

The look on her face made me feel kind of guilty.

The plan (originally) was that I spend Sunday and possibly Monday night at home, spend a couple of days at John and Melanie's and then they would drive me to Long View on Friday so that I could take the bus to Yakima to see my Dad.

Mum knew this. I told her if I had time that I would visit a bit during the second half of the week...But instead she pleaded with me to stay Sunday Monday and Tuesday night. So I agreed.

Obviously I forgot to inform Gramma. She seemed a little...bitter that I wouldnt' be there for Christmas, but I've been planning to see my Dad for it for months, so there's no real excuse for that I'm thinking.

Next year I think I'll switch Thanksgiving and Christmas around, to make it fair.

The bus ride to Astoria was good (if one forgot the betrayed look on one's Gramma's face). Got to chat with the residential drunk, and my old chem study on the bus buddy. His name is Matt, and he's my bff Jake's older brother. Or one of them at least.

When I got off the bus I had to chase down the 12 (with Matt's help), which was....fun. Which meant I had no time to text Melanie and tell her I had arrived in Astoria and was on my way. So I showed up 3 blocks from her doorstep (stupid new bus regulations) to a house she wasn't in.

>.<;;;

Thank goodness Jake was.

Then we did Yule. Which was pretty cool. I got my two favorite flower pictures taken by Melanie in frames, and a bunch of other things. Including a fuzzy pillow case. :)

Thursday was devoted to retrieving my fencing bag (again). Did I mention that it's been in Clatsop's P.E. equipment room for nigh on a year? O.o Bravo Monica.

Every time I send someone to retrieve it they "can't find it". Which is total claptrap. Ai looked for me and confirmed it was right where it should've been.

Good girl. Thanks Ai!

Have I ever mentioned that I have terrible luck with Transportation?

I walked all the way down the bloody hill from the college to town because I missed the bus. Which wouldn't've been bad since all I had was a small painting (of a nude lady), my handy dandy messenger bag, and my fencing bag.

None of that is that heavy, but apparently all my walking in Monmouth adds up to much less than what I did in Astoria, so my shoulders were killing me and trying to convince me that I had 60 pounds on my back.

Not the 15 I actually had.

Did you know? I've never actually been shopping on Christmas before. The fiasco at Dennis Company on Black Friday is about as clase as I've ever gotten.

Deals Only was bloody well PACKED! I'm a pretty good sneaker, but I think I would've had trouble getting around the business, with my stupid fencing gear, even without all the people.

Those aisles are pretty small.

But back to my mission: Melanie gave me some cool photos for Yule, right? Well they were in some awesome frameless frames that she got for a couple dollars at Deals.

Jackpot.

I had already been planning on getting a few: one for mum, one for Gramma, one for John and Melanie....And if I could muster up a selfish bone in my body, maybe even one for me!

But on my way down the blasted hill from the college my Aunt Ester Called me. Did I mention that I have a Dad floating around somewhere? :D

Long story short:

1. He lives in Yakima Washington
2. Didn't meet him till I was 9.
3. I promised I'd visit for Christmas.

So Aunt Ester (his sister) called all hysterical like to find out when I was coming. I told her I'd be on a bus at 3 on Friday.

And she told me she'd already drawn the name of the person I had to give a gift to for Christmas.

That throws a small wrench in my gears.

So the frame for me became one for dad, and I tossed a 5th one into the mix for my cousin Melissa.

Whoever the heck that is. :P

Also, have I mentioned what kind of cutlery I've been using? Kids stuff :) They are in bright colors like neon green, blue, and pink. And are shaped like animals.

Really. I've been using them for months. I bought them at Deals :) Right now my favorite is a green knife with the alligator snout as the blade....

I bought a new pack for me, but decided to give it to my baby cousins.

Got my shopping done and trudged down tot he bus station. the good news is I bumped into Jake and got to chat. The bad news was that I got there as soon as my bus left.

End Part One

Regard from Purgatory,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment