Monday, December 7, 2009

The Application

It's So bloody cold outside.

One would not believe how many of those blasted handwarmers I've used. I'm so used to it not getting super cold/snowy until like...March >.<;;; I mean, we had snow for Christmas last year, but that was a fluke you know? Although I can't help but remember the winter holidays when I was little when the birdbaths would freeze solid (as well as the lake) and I would sled down the hill in the backyard and Plow through the garden....

Wasn't Grampa thrilled :D

So Miki and I venture out at dark, fun fun. We're sposed to meet him at 6 or something. But he's always late. I think I can live with a late manager considering how much he's gotten done with that apartment. It's definitely one of those "Don't judge a book by it's cover places". The last tenants treated it terribly, and there's still remnants of that evident in odd places. Like the strange closet doors with handles missing, or the loose handles on the kitchen drawers (Anyone have a screwdriver they'd give to me for Christmas? Phillips please thank you). But other than that the manager has done absolute miracles.

I can kinda see what the place used to look like so it's amazing that he's got it looking so good now. And it's not that fake kind of looking good either. He's actually fixed stuff.

Turns out Alfredo has 15 cars. Several are for him. The nice sports car, the small pickup, the bigger nice truck, the super large I have a too small penis truck......:) But it turns out that he runs a contracting business, so that explains his handiness/lots of vehicles.

So it's super warm in the house as Miki and I fill out the applications. I'm so nervous that the pen slips in my sweaty hands and I stop every few moments to chatter excitedly. Miki is very purposeful about hers. Like she's signing a warrant for someone's death or something.

I am impressed.

I almost forgot to put my drivers license on it, though >.< He was amazed that technically I'm a Washington resident. There actually aren't that many of those here at WOU. The few people I've met that used to live in Washington are Oregon residents now (i.e. they've married had kids etc.) So I'm a....what do you call it when you fit outside of the equation? Maybe an outlier :D

I felt kinda stupid about not having any credit for him to check, or a current job. And I put down the family business as my last job since technically it WAS my last job. Although I more consider the Lightship as that....But that was a while ago. Winter of 2008 I think? It's been a whole year since I've been a busser.

Soooooo....For once I'm the one that's prepared. I want to cry when I see $25 disappear into his pocket for the application fee, and Miki has a blank amazed look on her face. But it might just be apprehension because I forgot to remind her about the fee (maybe I didn't tell her at all? I could've sworn I did....) and I didn't have enough to cover her (laughs hysterically) So he offered to pay for her if we brought the money later.

WOOHOO WE'RE IN! *cheers*

So I probably Should've mention this sooner...But Miki and I have been without heat since Friday. Quite literally I might add. I'm in the library typing this because it's hit 50 degrees in our room. Mikiko is hiding out underneath several blankets on her bed with her laptop, having given up the living room as a lost cause.

Did you know that when you don't have constant heat it's easier to feel the stiff breeze under the door? I never though I'd have to use tricks from when I was little and stuff a towel under the door....

An annoying blond brought the breeze back. She and her cheerfulness knocked merrily announcing a Christmas party downstairs that was "huge" (I'm guessing that at least 10 dormers showed up to make that quota) and if Miki hadn't have been in the bathroom I might've drug the girl in so I could go drown her in the toilet.

Fudge it's cold outside, go away!

So I told her nicely (snorts) that neither of us were going, thank you, and to go away.

Am I a bad person for loving to see her face drop?

Not an hour later I was stomping downstairs to find my R.A. at that blasted party (hypocrite, I know. But it had just hit 40 something in my room and I had lost my temper). I almost got distracted by the crafts tables but managed to zero in on Kelsey. Apparently on Saturday the entire building went out (something wrong with the main generator for heat) and she said it had been fixed days ago. I talked to lots of people and that was the consensus and everyone else had THEIR heat back!

So she told me to file a work order. What's that you ask? Pretty much something busts and you cry over the internet to the techs and they come replace your lightbulb for you because everyone knows college students can't do that.

One problem: OUR (the residency offices) took Miki and I off the residents list early. So neither of us had the capabilities to file a work order. So I stashed all the food I had stolen from the party (I snagged a lot) and the Christmas ornament I had made, and flew back down the stairs to give her a piece of my mind.

In the ten seconds it took me to get down there (running) I had lost feeling in my fingers, nose, and ears. Stupid cold. 8 o'clock at night and it has to be 15 degrees outside.

I told her what was going on and that both my heaters had been out since FRIDAY, not saturday, and that I wanted heat and SOON so I didn't get frostbite, she filed me a report.

Good Girl.

Wish me luck!

Regards from Purgatory,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment