Thursday, January 14, 2010

Start of a Good Day

So I'm extremely pleased with myself right now. I managed to wake up when my alarm went off at 8 (surprise surprise. It helps that I kinda was roused when Miki left at 7:20 this morning). And even though I got distracted by the net (as per usual) I managed to get all of my Business Writing Homework done!

You have no idea how happy I am with myself right now.

It was a resume and job application packet. I will confess that I was rather lazy about the resume part, but that's because I already had an activities resume left over from my graduation portfolio from High School. I did revamp it. I think the only reason why I used it is because it's physically impossible to find Word 2003 around here (the program I did extensive training on >.<) and I can't figure out how to do formatting on 2007 to save my life.

Microsoft Works and Word 2003 are different, but at least compatible with buttons and things.

2007? It's like Greek >.< So I used the old one for a resume and spiffed it up. I even ended up doing a little this morning because I had completely forgotten the fact that I was a Girl Scout and therefore had non-profit organization experiance, and was a treasurer for the student ASB so had worked with P.O.'s and Invoices and paperwork and money shuffling. Petty cash and the likes.

So I deleted the sports and added those. Goodness knows why I didn't have them on there in the first place. Oh yeah! It was because even though you couldn't graduate without a complex and full binder for your senior portfolio....no one ever looked at it.

BLEH

I'm just lucky I had copies of all the stuff I wrote for it squirreled away on the server at Clatsop (and errand I ran on the day I forgot to get my fencing gear), and that even though I haven't been a student for ages they haven't deleted a single smidgeon of any of my files :)

I betcha it will all be there for years.

I get a kick out of that idea.

So I wrote a resume. And a gleaming cover letter. It was a little longer than I wanted it to be, almost a page. And it didn't....my personality didn't shine through too terribly well since I mostly listed qualities and all that. I am well aware that isn't the best thing to do, but I needed to give them pertinent information and if I wrote myself my own glowing recommendation, I would've failed to do that.

OH SHIT! I forgot to write my References.

Well that was brilliant.

And here I contacted an old teacher to give me advice on who to put for my references. And with the criteria she gave me I could only think of 2 ppl...One I haven't seen in ages. Which is a shame: She's Tosha's mum, my former friend.

I miss her.

But moving on. I just looked at the criteria for the resume and stuff and nowhere did it specifically call for references. I know that that's usually left unsaid...But still. I have a good argument :)

But I had it done on time, and all the papers I needed were there, and I even showed up to class on time! *cheers*

Now if only I can get my American Lit. reading homework done between 12 and 2. Sooooooo gonna happen :)

Well as long as I manage not to fall asleep in class (I succeeded on Tuesday with that endeavor) I will be happy.

And I even got to read a poem! I can read early American Literature out loud pretty well, but I'm not too good at poetry inflections, which sucks. I read it all in iambic pentameter, pretty much, with an upwards lilt at the end of each phrase >.<

So even though he complimented me on my diction (amazing since I can't read regular English aloud to save my life), he reread it it properly and made me quite jealous.

It was quite a witty poem, though. And I liked reading it aloud cause my fried Evan (also in that class) enjoyed it so much.

Regards from Purgatory,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment