Monday, January 18, 2010

Almost There. To Purgatory I Mean

Mikiko almost burned down the house this morning.

And when I say this morning? I mean somewhere around midnight.

And when I say almost....Well I'm still not entirely sure what happened :)

I went to bed fairly early, actually. Spent yesterday doing lots of things that I'll bring up soon, promise. And then Mikiko had two girls over for curry, which I helped her cook. And a movie, Pirates of the Caribbean. It was an odd night: no matter how much curry we added it wasn't spicy, and the picture kept shutting off on the t.v. (that someone gave me) until I shoved a popcorn box under the cords in the back :)

The movie was over round 9 and after a call with John and my Mum, I went to bed.

I woke to the most awful sound.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

It went in threes. And I could hear a distressed female sound downstairs, a voice. Words maybe?

I listened for a minute or two and drifted off. When I finally woke up the beeping was done but there was this smoky smell that was getting stronger and stronger in my room. It was terribly and awful!

So I sprang from my bed (doesn't that sound like "'Twas the Night Before Christmas"?) and pounded down the stairs.

I got to the kitchen and if I didn't know better I would've though Miki was crying over a lump of something in the sink.

The microwave was open, so was the balcony door so I picked up my cat to keep her from escaping. The kitchen window's drapes were billowing and Miki was making constant distressed noises.

I peered into the smelly microwave and saw a wonderfully charred circle (reminds me of when Mum busted the microwave by putting a non-microwavable bowl in it...).

Miki wasn't too terribly coherent, I'm thinking. All I got was "Margarine, forgot it, I'm so sorry."

All I could do was close my eyes, say it was okay, and take the cat back upstairs.

I slept well, for having the wretched smell of burnt margarine in my nostrils.

Who knew that vegetable oil was dangerous?

Regards from Purgatory,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment