Sunday, November 1, 2009

Giant Hotdogs, Sherlock Holmes, and Pink Hair

Hello all, yes I successfully went trick-or-treating :)

*sighs* I know, everyone told me it would go okay and I was STILL worried about it!

It was a total an utter fiasco, though. We were supposed to all meet at the Werner Center (at the center of campus) at 6 o'clock. I chose there because a couple people were coming from off campus so I though it fair to make residents AND them walk a bit :D

I had 14 people who were probably coming.

At 3:00 Anny called and said that she was having costume problems and Miki asked her to come over at 5 and we'd help her with her costume.

At 4:00 Kody texted and said he'd like to get dinner before we left and Miki told him at 5:30, thinking that we'd go to the dining hall since Anny would probably take a while anyways.

We probably should've just told him to go get dinner on his own. I mean, since when do girls adhere to schedules? 0.o

At 4:40 Pinkey called and said she was having costume problems too and wanted to know why she couldn't just wear normal clothes. I asked her to come over so we could help out and she said that she was waiting for Daisy (the only off campus girl coming) to make it to her house.

5 minutes later Anny called and said she'd be 15 minutes late.

15 minutes after 5 Kody showed up and was grumpy when he found out we couldn't go anywhere because Anny wasn't there and THEN we learned that he was actually expecting to go OUT for dinner. Is this the part where I laugh hysterically? there's no time for that!

At 5:30 Anny arrives with some strange costume I don't blame her for not wearing so Miki puts her in a Yukata. Of course that takes forever and THEN Kody finally figures out why I was laughing when he brought up food and the likes. Hell, I wasn't even expecting to be able to EAT last night. Seriously.

At a quarter till 6 I rush to the dining hall for food and snag some curly fries while calling Pinkey. Daisy has arrived and SHE doesn't have a costume either! I demand they come over immediately so I can sort them out.

They make it at 5 till 6 and Jocelyn calls me to find out where I am. I pass on the message that I will be late because of three costumeless girls (I've now been dressed for an hour) and that I'd be bringing plastic bags for candy.

I ask Miki where her camera and Sabrina is and she tells me Sabrina has it and that she's not coming. So Kody offers to go get HIS camera. It's now 10 after 6 and I tell him that we'll be done soon so he's welcome to go get his and that we'd meet at the Werner center.

I dig in Anny's bag of costumes and thrust a jamaican hat (braids and beads included) and an odd shirt at Daisy. Pinkey presents her (perfectly fine even though she says otherwise) costume to me and I thrust a skirt at her.

We shrug and call her a 50's girl.

Miki is wearing a floor length purple velvet princess dress with ballooning sleeves and a hot pink wig. I convince her to ditch the 3 inch heels. She agrees that they won't be fun for walking :)

We get another frantic call from Jocelyn and take off for Werner. We get there and are greeted by a huge crowd.

Somehow we picked up Sherlock Holmes. Don't get me wrong, I know the guy. In fact, I knew that he was dressing as Sherlock Holmes WEEKS ago cause we had breakfast together one morning. i.e. we sat at the same table while reading and eating and didn't pay much attention to each other :D

And earlier that evening Kody had exclaimed that he saw Sherlock Holmes walk by the building.

How he ended up in our group, I have no idea :) (HI Ross!) But I still get a kick out of how he appeared in the crowd in his trench and dear stalker with a pipe in his mouth and said "Hello!" all friendly like :D It was priceless.

There there was a blond girl who's name I STILL don't know wearing thick black makeup looking kinda goth that proceeded to pinch and pet me calling me cute 0.0

Excuse me while I run away with my tail between my legs!

She was accompanied by a boy that I didn't see much of. He just walked ahead of us a lot.

And then there's Jocelyn, dressed as Naruto, she waves and smiles at me. "About time!" She exclaims. Jonathan is dressed as a roman. kinda soldier-ish. It's neat. And he's not that surprised I'm late because he was in the dining hall when I ran in to grab those curly fries.

Which I never got to eat, really. Half of them were left in my room to get cold and slimy. When I got back I tossed them out.

And then there's Jocelyn's roommate, Kendra. She was a sexy vampire. I love her outfit. A corset type gothy dress with a foofy skirt to it. And it covered her boobs properly too. I'm tired of seeing girls hang out of their costumes. She was refreshing :)

Kody wasn't there.

We waited a few minutes. But it was already 20 after! So we called him, and then started walking. Of course, he didn't have his phone because he was dressed as a shadow and was COVERED in grease paint so couldn't really carry that type of thing.

We got one block down the street before all the asian girls stopped dead.

"Wait!" They cried. "Patricia is inside Werner! Let her catch up!"

Wait, who's Patricia? 2 blocks later a little girl trots up with a ridiculous witches cap with spiders hanging off of it and a large smile.

"Hallo Moe-nica! You are very tall today."

Why yes I am :) I was wearing boots and she's not all that tall in the first place :D

Not even a block later I notice that Miki is freaking out while on the phone and finally thrusts it at me.

"Kody is VERRY angry!" she exclaims.

I snag it and Kody says he'll catch up. Mkay.

We have a lot of ppl I notice. And I can't keep them together to save my life >.<

I guess Daisy's nickname for me is rather apt: Moe-ther Moe-nica

>.< So me and my baby ducklings head into town and run into...Jesus! Okay not really. That's actually Jonathon in his Roman outfit. And I think it was actually John the Baptist we ran into anyways.

Anyone remember those kids carnivals you used to go to/take your kids to? The ones with cakewalks? Well this one had holy ppl. But it was cool. They let us go through in a conga line and raid all the candy, go outside, and then come back in and play games. They said that they welcomed the company and wanted to do something nice for us since we were so nervous about our trick-or-treating expedition. I get the feeling that having 12 ppl on their doorstep (the weird guy in the headphones waited down the street) got other ppl coming in and that's what they really wanted.

Well, it bolstered our confidence at least!

So after that we were off. The 2nd or third house we went to the lady was outside lighting her pumpkins and turning on lights and didn't look friendly so I asked from a distance if we could trick-or-treat.....Well let's just say I told the girls that that lady wasn't passing out candy. I'm pretty glad that they didn't hear her. But Jonathon and Sherlock were pretty upset with her. I was a little, but I can live and let things be. Better to ask and be told no than to impose upon someone rudely, yeah?

Turned out we went to a sparse part of town (lotsa burbs though) where mothers pulled up to the curb, tossed 6 kids out, and then drove them down to the next house with a porchlight on. I much preferred walking with all my friends.

Most of the houses Jon knocked. Sometimes Kody did, And Sherlock did once or twice. And Daisy even tried once! She was so excited that she practically shouted "Trick-or-treat!" In a squealing voice. The lady was enthused. We had just let a little toddler dressed as a cowboy go first, and then WE knocked on the door and apparently we (and the kid) were the only ppl that had knocked all night. Of course it was just gone 7 by then. BUt I said we more than made up for it cause we had 12 ppl :D She was happy. Although as she was loading us with piles of candy each she admitted that if she wasn't so dissappointed she might not be humoring adults (who, us? :) ) and giving us candy.

I thanked her. She was nice and honest. And I told her that Miki, Daisy, Pinky, Anny, and Patricia had never had a Halloween before so she was doing a good deed :D

While we had been waiting for Mr. Cowboy at his first door we crossed the street. We stuck religiously to the porchlight rule and approached a big house with lights on inside and a bright porch. we knocked. hear nothing. waited. And then departed dissappointed. When we turned away from the lonely lady's house I saw the oddest thing.

"Jon!" I tugged on his armour. "Jon, look at that!"

"I know, right? Isn't the moon pretty? But you don't need to tell me to look, I'm already looking."

"No Jon! There is a door...walking across the street!"

And there was a rickety beaten up door was meandering across the street and reminded me oddly of a crab, or those crazy guys in the tube from chitty chitty bang bang, as it scurried towards us.

"The door has a sign! Quick girls it says knock!"

Everyone is stunned behind and twittering and Sherlock leaps forward "Let me!"

The door has muttering behind it. I hear things like "They read the door, yes they did! Well knock on the door, they're knocking! We're opening the door"

It was odd.

The door swung open and there were two crochety old ladies (quite literally) stooped in the door frame muttering like crazy ppl one with a pot and the other a pan waving them through the door chattering at themselves but still having a weird little conversations.

"Trick-or-treat!" We chorused Snagging candy from the pots and pans. We all giggled at the sight of hunched old ladies in shawls with crossed eyes and gnarly teeth. They were the best yet! And when we were all finished (which tool quite a while with pictures and such) They scurried right on back to the front door of the house that never answered the door!

I figure they felt bad and hunted us down cause from then on they had their fun door on their porch.

Near that place was a small complex. At the first door we tried twice but all we got was a cat in the window. The second had a beware sign in a hanging flower basket (petunias) that I didn't see until we left cause it had an awesome green porchlight. There was an elderly couple inside and the Old Man was tickled pink to have us at the door and had a running commentary for his wife since she couldn't see the door or get up. And he told her all about how kids were getting so big nowadays :D Jon was equally humored since he has a beard :D (he really does look like Jesus with his hair down, too)

That was fun. And by the time we left THAT door the first one had a lady standing in it so we sprinted over.

Down the line there was another where a poor young man answered. He was terrified of us and refused to pass us the candy, so we had to snag it ourselves. He was prolly 15, poor guy! :) Good chap though, gave us entire Reeses packets!

One of the earlier houses we went to, we were drawn to because of it's amazing yard. And as we got closer we realized that not only was it the only yard actually decorated in town (no joke, most had pathetic pumpkins or gravestones) they also had a haunted thing going on in their garage! They had a smoke machine and strobe lights (no wonder I woke up with a migraine this morning) and everything! That was pretty cool. We got a handful of candy there too.

There were other houses, but those were all the coolest. At a couple there were college students that a. recognized us or b. were just happy to see trick-or-treaters in general and were ecstatic that we were at their door. The former were sitting at their couch all dressed up with nowhere to go and I'm glad we made them smile. I think they needed it as much as that lonely lady. And when we were wrapping up (some of the girls were cold and it was 7:30 by then) we kinda ended up near that cranky ladies house again.

I'm standing on the corner arguing with Sherlock and Jon about whether it was her house or not cause she hadn't had orange lights or pumpkins out lady when we saw a guy dressed up as a hotdog (no joke) jamming himself in door.

"Hey Jon, isn't that the guy, that friend of yours that was at the Halloween dance with us the other night?"

Drifting down the street we can hear the hind end of an argument. Well, actually we can hear the lady bitching and the guy answering with great humor in his voice.

"Now now, I knocked, you answered, now hand over the candy! I won't leave your door until you do! Hey! Don't shut it on me!"

And as we watched she cursed him, gave him candy and slammed the door on him. It was priceless. I'm glad that she finally let an "adult" trick-or-treat even if she didn't want to. And I think she deserved it a little for being so mean. It's not like we were stealing from children! Although he certainly looked like it as he ran down the street before we could say hello....We ALWAYS let the kids go to the door first, and we didn't crowd them, we'd wait at the street. And unless the ppl shoved handfuls in our bags, we only took one piece a piece.

One lady had tangerines and Kiwis. I wish the tangerines were ripe...>.< Then it woulda been pretty cool!

Oh, Btw, I DID get to be a Cat School Girl. My cat ears came on saturday morning with the tail. I was so excited!

What did YOU do for Halloween?

Regards from Purgatory,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment