Monday, August 16, 2010

Side Note 1

Train Cards

Now, don't let the currency fool you. Sure, 100¥(yen) doesn't seem like a lot because it comes in a coin about the size of a quarter. But you have to remember: exchange right now says that it's 80¥ to $1 USD. So use your money wisely.

The trains?

They cost anywhere between 120¥--400¥ depending on what train you take (rapid, rapid special, local, or metro) and how far you go. These numbers are just from my experience, mind. You might think that $4+ is way spendy for a 20 min. train ride, but what you don't understand is that I traveled from Shibuya to Harajuku in 20 minutes by only one or two trains, and that's 150 km at least. (93.2 miles according to google)

Trains are FAST here. Way fast. So yes, they are spendy. You have two options, buy a ticket that will get you from one place to the next (and you better have lotsa fare on it, because if it runs out the toll machine just eats it, lets you through, then you can't get through the next), or a card. There are two options from there: Suica, which can buy everything and your mother. Or ToMe, which is short for Tokyo Metro and will only get you on specific ToMe trains in the Tokyo area. I think there is Pasmo too, but I'm not sure of the difference between Pasmo and Suica.

Heck, you can even use Suica on the DRINK machines!

As far as I can tell, Suica and Pasmo can be used interchangable, although there seems to be trains that only accept Pasmo passes (I never had any problems with that, although I did see train lines indicating that) and the websites say that Pasmo has a 500¥deposit and a 210 charge for cancelling. And you can get passes with your name on it.

Okay, Pasmo is only for Tokyo area, Suica can go just about everywhere north east and west of Tokyo. Not all the way to Kanto or Hiroshima, but far enough. Which is awesome.

I'd link photos, but I can't read Japanese and I'm having keyboard problems >.<>

You slide it over an electronic reader, tickets get inserted and spat back out, and it'll either flash blue for OKAY! Or red, lots of noise, and the gate closing for NO! When you make it through, a little display screen tells you whether it charged you (if you haven't ridden a train yet, it won't), and how much money you have left.

Neat!

They are convenient, because the gates only accept passes or tickets, not money, but you don't get any discounts. If you use a Pasmo or Suica card on a bus, however, you'll get bus points that will be used to further bus trips later.

I have a Suica! Look it up, it's got a penguin on it. I suspect it's a spare card of either Miki's sister, or herself, since she has a student pass with her name and photo on it.

Btw, Suica stands for Super Urban Intelligence Card. No joke.

Oh, and on the train?

You have to be QUIET.

The first time I realized this was an actual rule, and not that everyone was boring, I was shocked. Only some line speak or have signs for stops in English. And one informed me "Please put your phones on vibrate or turn them off, and do NOT make any calls on the train. And please, no talking."

Wow!

No wonder everyone glared at me for chatting with Miki>.<

Pretty much they ALL play games on their cells (or text), read, or sleep. Yes, sleep. 80% of one of the trains we rode was full of sleeping ppl. Even when it's so crowded ppl are standing, ppl sleep. (And yes, I became one of these weird ppl. I couldn't help it, I was tired!!!)

Regards from Purgatory

Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment