Monday, May 3, 2010

Excerpt of Life

I'll have more to write when it's a decent hour and I've managed to steal this weekend's photos from Miki. But I've just woken up (yes it's 6:30) and scribbled down a poem detailing yesterday (to prove that yes, I AM taking poetry) so I thought I might as well share it.

A cascade of strings ripple
Through the Main Street Park
In place of the old shut off fountain.
A quartet of men croon at their gazebo bbq
And Mother Vultures perch the tiered fountain
Basically ignoring their flighty children.
It's Sunday and the playground Utopia
Is full of All Sorts of people:
Chattering Latina Mothers, Superball Kids, an At a Loss Business man.
And even me, The Minority waiting for
My laundry to buzz across the way.
The middle of the park is a perfect view point
So I sit on the old shut off fountain 'cross
From the wary Latina Mothers
And make like a lighthouse,
Slowly gazing 'round to take it all in.
The businessman has brought his notes,
Which he ditches on the lawn to sprawl
On the bench and tilt his face to the sky.
A cute college couple, Barbie and Ken,
Dine at a picnic table with two hobos,
Munching a potato chip and sandwich lunch.
And the Latina Mothers lower their hackles
To smile at my foottapping enjoyment
Of Oye Como Va and Que Sera Sera
While grinning at two boys
Kicking a soccer over my shoes
At the old dried up fountain,
Under the barren rustling cherry trees,
At Main Street Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment